History and Tradition

In 1958 Harold and Ethel Sumida founded La Sumida Nursery on upper State Street. Their dream was to provide the Santa Barbara area with superior service and high quality plants and garden supplies.

In 1972 they opened the Milpas Street Branch and in 1978 another dream was fulfilled with the opening of the Patterson Avenue headquarters.

Hilton Sumida

In 2007 we decided to concentrate our efforts under one roof to better serve our generations of customers. Under the leadership of Harold and Ethel’s son Hilton Sumida, La Sumida Nursery continues to be a Santa Barbara tradition.